Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Great American Sloth

I witnessed something yesterday that made me laugh and make a comment out lout that this person in question heard and gave me a dirty look (I couldn't have cared less because I just finished a 13 1/2 hour day.). Let me just tell you what happened.
I was in my local Target getting my father his birthday presents, two movies, as well as myself a movie and doing the unavoidable browsing. I decide to checkout, as I walk to the checkout line I pass the large woman, not huge, but definitely overweight, walking very slowly. I passed her thinking it was just because I walk fairly fast, but she was a good five feet behind her kids and losing ground. I was able to go through the express line, and after paying for my purchase, I looked up to see this same woman with now a snack from the Target food court also heading toward the exit. The first door that I came to on the far left was the automatic door. A young couple was in front of me and activated the door and it opened, now the woman coming from the food court, her first exit option would have been the old fashioned open it yourself type door, but when this young couple activated the door, she realized that she could actually exert less effort to exit than first thought and used some evasive maneuvering to avoid touching such an old model of door. What makes this great (or terrible depending on how you look at it) was that this woman had already entered past the anti-theft gates that are directly in front of all Target door. Instead of backing out, or just pushing the door open with the hand that didn't have a pepperoni pizza roll in it, she decided to SQUEEZE behind the anti-theft device and the door frame, it wasn't graceful in the slightest nor was she able to do this without hitting the anti-theft thing and nearly knocking it over. I had slowed my walk to see all of this take place, and after she popped out of the other side, in front of me I spoke aloud totally on accident, "Amazing, open the god damn door lazy ass." Ooops! She heard and glared. Now I wish that responded to her glare to make her more aware of the fact that her picture should be on a shirt as an example of one of the seven deadly sins.
Now it is still very very busy at work, but I had to write something about this because it irritated me mad and was funny, but as I retold this story, I realized it was not an irritating story, but a sad one the made me quite mad.

Comments:
I'm right there with you, Nick. I made a rookie mistake this weekend and went to "The Wal-Marts" in the middle of the day on Sunday. I was faced with a two-fold depression:
1) the place is packed and the lines for checkout are incredibly slow, causing me to be inside Wal-Mart much much longer than I would have liked; and
2) the waddling beasts made me weep for my nation.

Then I went home and what was on tv? The Simpsons episode where Springfield is the fattest town on the planet.
 
this countries insane obesity is a sad state of affairs. and i feel terribly for you jay, because no self-respecting person should ever have to go to wal-mart. but on the upside, that is a very funny episode.
 
Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it Nick. I've been thinking about putting on two- or three-hundred pounds and wheezing my way around town.
 
adam just wants to get on disability.
 
There are way easier and much healthier ways to get on disability, Ed.
 
i'm curious nick, what are you mad about? (you said @ the end of the post you were mad)

are you mad @ yourself for your public embarassment and shaming of this woman?

or,
are you mad that our society continues to produce people that are morbidly obese.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]